Thursday, September 30, 2010

In the beginning...

Welcome to Sweet Pea's Kitchen!

I didn't realize until recently that I've been learning to cook my entire life. Since I was young, my mom (the woman who dubbed me Sweet Pea) has been calling me into the kitchen to watch her flip a pancake, fold the brownie batter, cook pasta to al dente. I would (begrudgingly) leave my post in front of the TV and stand beside my mom while she demonstrated a variety of techniques that, at the time, I had no idea I would need to know later in life.

I guess I developed an actual interest in cooking sometime in high school. Now I'm 22 and living in my first apartment and I find myself honing my cooking skills more than studying (sorry, Mom). Being in college, I've realized that a lot of people don't know how to cook, and I'm really lucky to have this foundation from my mom. My ultimate goal is to cook as well as my mom, and the way to get there is to practice. Mom always says she's gone through a whole lot of disasters in the kitchen to get to where she is today. So, this blog will be a sort of journal about what I cook (be it a smashing hit or something I wouldn't even feed to the dog). I will sometimes post recipes I find that I'm hoping to make soon, things I have already made, things my mom made. It's just going to be a sounding board for any food-related thoughts.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment