Monday, April 25, 2011

Okie dokie, artichokie

Artichoke with Vinaigrette

Sometimes, all I want for dinner is an artichoke. That's it. Mom gave me a beaaauuutiful artichoke, so that was dinner. And it was fantastic! I just love the process of eating the artichoke like I love the process of doing a tequila shot (minus the hangover the next day). I love pulling the leaves off, dipping it in the vinaigrette, scraping off the yummy flesh with my teeth. I remember a summer night with my parents where we sat at the Tiki Hut (my dad's "man-cave") and just munched on a couple of artichokes with vinaigrette and called it a night. It was perfect for a hot summer evening when it's too hot to really cook or eat anything heavy.

This recipe has been in the family for a couple of generations, so you know it's a good one.


1) Cut off the tip of the artichoke and the bottom. Snip the tip of each leaf with a pair of kitchen shears.

2) Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and drop in the artichoke with a couple slices of lemon. Let the artichoke boil for 30-45 minutes. The artichoke is done when you can stick a fork in the heart (from the bottom) and it comes out easily. I recommend a fork rather than a sharp knife because a knife will almost always come out easily, even if it isn't fully cooked.

3) Meanwhile, combine a finely chopped shallot and 1/3c finely chopped parsley in a bowl. (I used a food processor to chop the parsley, but I don't recommend it) Add 1/2-1 tsp. dijon mustard, or enough to make a mush (yes, a mush). Slowly drizzle about 3/4c EVOO into the mush, whisking. Add wine vinegar, starting with 2 Tbsp., adding more as needed. Of course, S&P to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment