Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chicken and Wild-Rice Soup

Chicken and Wild-Rice Soup

Impulse cooking! What do you do when you have two midterms to study for, a quiz to study for, and a paper to write? You make soup! (Duh, I don't know what you guys were thinking) I saw this recipe in Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast and it just looked so delicious! I've had these stuffy-head cold symptoms for like 4 weeks now, and somehow, soup, especially chicken soup, just makes that all better. So soup it was! The flavor was decent the first day, but it got waaay better the next day. It made 4 big servings, so I ate some throughout the week and put some in the freezer. Mom says the rice will fall apart, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I'll let you know how that turns out...

Chicken and Wild-Rice Soup
My modified recipe...

Chop an onion and saute it in some olive oil. Season with S&P. Cook until they get soft (3-5 min). Add 32 ounces chicken broth (preferably low-sodium), 2/3 cup wild rice blend and about 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn it down to a simmer, cover and wait 35 minutes.


Chop up a couple of carrots and celery (2-3, give or take depending on how much veggie action you like in your soup) into pieces the size that you would like to eat. (I chop things like that a little smaller than my mom does. She's all about the big pieces of things. I'm all about being able to fit it in my mouth) Dump this into the soup pot along with the 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Boil it again, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered until the veggies are tender and the chicken is opaque (about 15 minutes). Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and shred it with two forks.

Put the now-shredded chicken back in the pot, season with S&P until it tastes good. Feel free to add some lemon juice on the first day you eat it to bump up the flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment