Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lookie what I got...

Skilletini with Peppers

Guess who bought their very first cast-iron skillet? I DID! I DID! I'm obviously very excited about it and I'm looking for every opportunity to season it. Mom told me to rub a generous amount of vegetable oil in it and stick it in a 300℉ oven to start the seasoning process. I was also doing this because I was making a skilletini. Every time I see the word 'skilletini', I think of skeletons. But don't worry! This recipe has nothing to do with skeletons and everything to do with being tasty!

Skilletini with Peppers
Recipe...

1) Preheat oven to 300℉. Place a cast-iron skillet in the oven. Boil water for pasta. Salt well. When water is boiling, add spaghetti. Heat marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat.

2) Warm some EVOO in a pan. Cut some sausage (bratwurst, Italian sausage... you pick) into thirds and add it to the pan. Cook until nicely browned on the outside and cooked through. Remove from pan and reserve.


3) Meanwhile, cut up two bell peppers, whichever color(s) you prefer, into strips. Cut an onion into strips (I forgot this step and it was good without it, but I love onions). Add more EVOO to the pan the sausage was in. Once it's hot, add the peppers and onion. Make sure to add some S&P. Cook until tender.

4) When pasta and peppers are finished cooking, put spaghetti, peppers, sausage, marinara, and some grated parmesan cheese. Mix everything together and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.

And voila!
You have a skilletini.
Pretty fun way to start seasoning your cast-iron skillet, right?

1 comment:

  1. You're skilitini looks like something from an Italian Restaurant.
    Oh, BYW... I want that size cast iron thingy too.

    ReplyDelete