Friday, July 1, 2011

This is what Heaven looks like

(from Ina Garten)

Ever been to Heaven? If so, this may have been what you saw. I myself have never been to Heaven, but my fingers are crossed that this is what it will look like. Imagine a pint-sized me wandering between the towers of cookies in heavenly bliss. Can you see it?

I decided to bake cookies for the kind young man from my Spanish group for class. He did a bunch of extra work for our group, editing all 4 of our podcasts throughout the course, without a single complaint. What a trooper! I think that deserves some serious cookie action. I had made these cookies from Ina once before and loooooved them so. Anybody can do a chocolate chip cookie. But these backward chocolate chippers (chocolate cookie, white chocolate chips) are such a treat. The cookie part is nice and chocolatey and rich, and the chips are a nice creamy surprise.

Chocolate White Chocolate Chunk (or chip) Cookies
Recipe...

1) Preheat oven to 350℉.

2) Cream 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, 1 c light brown sugar (packed), and 1 c granulated sugar with an electric mixer. Add 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 large eggs at room temperature (adding one at a time and mixing well after each addition).

3) Add 2/3 c good cocoa powder and slooowwwllly turn the mixer back on (though I'm pretty sure cocoa powder will get everywhere regardless). Add 2 c flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1 tsp. kosher salt. Mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chunks/chips, as much as your heart desires.

4) Drop rounded spoonfulls onto a cookie sheet. Dampen your hands and slightly flatten each cookie.

5) Ina says to bake exactly 15 minutes. I say go a bit shy of 15 because every oven is different. Take the cookies out when they SEEM like they need another minute or two. If you wait til them seem done, you'll be sorry.

6) Stack the cookies up in very tall towers and imagine what it would be like to live in a land with towers of cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Your partner in Sp class I'm certain, was very pleased to get these yummy little bites for his effort. How is it that I have never eaten one of these, nor saw recipe in Ina's cookbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I brought them up north! Didn't you snag one? Never fear, there will be more.

    ReplyDelete