Sunday, July 3, 2011

Scalawag's

Scalawag: (noun) a scamp; rascal
(Thanks, dictionary.com!)

I realize I just posted a picture of a half-eaten basket of fish sandwich and french fries, but I forgot to take a picture before I started eating.

Okay. Fine. I just couldn't wait to take a picture before digging in.

I've been going to Scalawag's for as long as I can remember. Primarily the Mackinaw City location, but when there used to be locations in Cheboygan, Petoskey, and Okemos, I went to those, too. My family used to take boat trips to Mackinaw City, at least once a summer, and we could always count on a trip to Scalawag's and a big ice cream cone to follow. Yes, there have always been tasty treats in Mackinaw.


So here's the low-down on Scalawag's. It's tucked back in a little corner of Mackinaw City. They serve fish. Good fish. They also serve chicken fingers, but don't bother. The FISH is where it's at. I always always always get the fish sandwich basket. So does my dad. It's deliciously deep-fried whitefish on a smooshy white sesame bun with tartar sauce and lettuce. Squeeze a bit of lemon on top (or a lot of lemon) and you have yourself the perfect Great Lakes meal. Granted, Scalawag's is not located on the water, but you could quite simply get it to-go and head on down to the water front.

And oh my god, the FRIES. They're crispy. And hot. And salty. And the perfect accompaniment to the fish. I mean, fish and chips- Classic combo. And here, they do it right. The trick is finding it, though...


1) Look for Kilwin's. (Convenient, because you have to pass it when you leave Scalawag's. May as well grab an ice cream cone)

2) Follow down the corridor next to Kilwin's. See it down there?

3) Jump for joy because you're about to have some seriously tasty whitefish!

No comments:

Post a Comment