Thursday, February 9, 2012

Holy Hiatus!

Salmon with Saffron Cream Sauce

Alright, kids. I know I've been away for awhile and it's no excuse. I just got stuck in a little rut, you see. But I'm back and I hope you're ready for me!

And what better way to come back than with a new recipe to try?

We ("we" being my family) prepare salmon pretty much the same way every time. It's delicious, but variety is the spice of life. So tonight's menu is salmon with brown rice, stir-fried veggies, and a saffron cream sauce. Sounds good, right?

Well here's what happened. It wasn't all rainbows and lollipops. I made the sauce and may have overestimated my estimating abilities. The called-for 1 tsp. of yellow mustard may have turned into more like 1 1/2 or maybe even 2 tsp. Woops! I'd suggest starting small with strong flavors like that. We tasted the sauce in the pan and we were all very skeptical. Since it was my suggestion for dinner, I only admitted my skepticism silently to myself. Mom, however, came right out and said it: "I don't know if I like this." We doctored it up a bit, adding a little more wine, a little more mascarpone, and some chicken stock. It definitely did the trick! The mustard flavor mellowed and it thinned out the sauce.

Final verdict: DELICIOUS!

Note: This dish is very quick and easy. It is not, however, inexpensive. Unless, of course, you happen to have saffron, mascarpone, and sundried tomatoes already in your pantry. Let's just say if you wanted to impress a special someone a little bit, maybe for a special holiday, this is your dish! (*cough, cough* Valentine's Day *cough*)


Salmon with Saffron Cream Sauce
Recipe...

1) Cook salmon in a greased dish at 350℉ until it's done. (Have I mentioned my rule-of-thumb for cooking any sort of meat/fish? Cook it til it's done. Now I have.)

2) Melt 1-2 Tbsp. butter in a pan over medium heat.

3) Add 1 onion, diced and cook until translucent.

4) Add 1/2 c. dry white wine, 1/4 tsp. saffron, 1 tsp. yellow mustard, and 4 oz. mascarpone cheese. Simmer until thickened. Stir in sundried tomatoes.

5) Sauté your choice of veggies and combine with cooked rice of your choice.

6) Serve salmon atop rice and veggies and spoon sauce overtop.


1 comment:

  1. Wow Amanada! This Salmon with Saffron Cream Sauce sounds delicious and I wish I could have been there to try it! I like your blog and look forward to your recipes from Sweet Pea's Kitchen. Bon Appétit Love, Aunt DC

    ReplyDelete