Monday, February 27, 2012

Meatless Monday: The Colin Clark of Burritos

Colin Clark Black Bean Burritos
(c/o Colin Clark)

Sometimes I visit my friends Beth and Colin and they always feed me. On one particular visit, Colin had made black bean burritos. Upon entering their home, I was immediately given one of these burritos and my one night visit turned into two nights and 4 burritos. These babies are seriously delicious (the burritos and the friends)!  I did a little schmoozing and begging and got Colin to share the recipe with me! (Okay, I didn't really beg. He shared the recipe willingly.) And now I'm sharing the love with all of you!

This is one of those recipes you can make a lot of or a little of and use as much or as little of the seasonings as you want.  You can also make a huge batch of the beans and keep some in the freezer for the future.  

Colin Clark's Black Bean Burritos
Recipe...
  • 3 lbs. black beans (presoaked and rinsed)
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 3 tsp. sea salt
  • 4 tsp. liquid smoke

1) Add all ingredients to a big pot.  Fill pot with water just to the top of the beans. 
2) Cook on low, covered, for 2 hours. During the last half hour, monitor moisture.  If too wet, increase heat and stir often, uncovered.
3) Put inside a burrito with all the fixins! (*see below)


Colin Clark's Pico de Gallo
Recipe...
  • 8 lbs. tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 cilantro bunch
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 4 Tbsp. lime juice

1) Remove tomato seeds and dice.  Dice onion and chop cilantro.
2) Combine tomato and cilantro. Slowly add onion until it "looks onioney enough"
3) Add salt and lime juice, stir it a little, and let it hang out in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors come together.  
      When using this pico de gallo, squeeze moisture out of it to prevent a soggy burrito. 



*Fixins
  • Flour tortilla (Colin swears by Don Marcos brand)
  • Sour cream
  • Mild white shredded cheese (like mozzarella or even queso fresco)
  • Cilantro lime rice
  • Guacamole
  • Frank's hot sauce

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this recipe is posted! Obviously, I have lost my little piece of paper with it written down.

    EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THIS! But be warned, you will become completely addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about these darn burritos ALL THE TIME! They are so yummy. Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete