Friday, February 24, 2012

Mindful Eating

source
I came across this New York Times article, Mindful Eating as Food for Thought, and wanted to share! We're all busy these days, so stopping to take a full 30 minutes to enjoy your lunch break is almost unheard of. Even a food lover like me scarfs her food, leaving me wondering "hey, wait a minute! What did that actually taste like?"

I love the concept of dedicating yourself to the enjoyment of a meal, eliminating distractions and focusing on the tastes, textures, and smells. It lets us enjoy the food more thoroughly, it's better for our digestion, and it prevents over-eating.

I think this is something we should all incorporate into our lives to some extent, but it's not something I would want to do for every meal. Part of what I love most about food is sharing it, sharing the experience of tasting, and sharing in the joy of company. Having friends over for a meal is a time to celebrate life. Coming together for dinner each night is my family's time to catch up with each other. This isn't to say that coming together for a mindful meal wouldn't be a bonding experience. Surely, it would. But a meal can take the form of a reflective meditation or an exciting gathering of celebration.

However you decide to conduct your mealtime, may you value all it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment